Search This Blog

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Basic Pistol!

Once again the time has come for new shooter class (Basic Pistol or Hand Fam). This weekend! Where did the time go? 

So what do you get in my BP class? You get the four rules first. I want you to be a better informed Handgun purchaser. I want you to have the basic administrative tasks of loading and unloading down. I want you to know how to handle a gun safely. Most importantly to me I want you to have fun and stay safe. I want to see you again in my Concealed Carry Handgun class.

I will show you a mix of tools to help you when you purchase. If you already have one, we will speak specifically to your gun.

Exhibit A:

















Two pistols in the same caliber (.380) and about the same size, but totally different in the way they feel and operate. Above, a Kel-Tec P3AT and below a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard, both popular right now.

Exhibit B:

























Above, a Colt Detective Special, below a Smith and Wesson Airweight. Again, similar size, but the weight difference is profound on felt recoil in the .38 Special cartridge. Throw a +P in the mix and it gets worse. In fact, I purchased the Smith from someone that fired it once and was done with it. Sad really, and the thing I work so hard to avoid. 

Then we work on the fundamentals. This is facilitated by these, Exhibit C:
























Above, Airsoft Colt .45 with CO2 powered blowback. Below, my only Glock =). 


We use a laserlyte training cartridge in my M&P in class for dryfire. 

Keeping it more entertaining (and me honest), we are watching this throughout the afternoon. 

 
 

 

 
  











We talk of cleaning and maintenance and then finally we talk of range safety and the course of fire for the day

New shooters get 18 rounds of ammo. .22 cal semi or single action first, .38 Special DA revolvers next, then a semi 9mm in Glock or M&P. 

It is a fast paced class and very rewarding for me. Can't wait! 

8 comments:

  1. I'll bet that Glock never misses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAH! It does not and is top rack dishwasher safe to boot!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like we're instructors cut from the same cloth...

    Dann in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great class Keads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sir! I think it is but I might be biased.

      Delete
  4. Hey, I think that's the best working Glock I've ever seen!

    I've got a Smith 642, and I love it. She's easy to conceal in summer clothes. During the winter I go a little larger, since there are sweaters, coats, ect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke, LOL on the Glock =) The Airweights are great but not a new shooter handgun to be sure.

      Delete