Search This Blog

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Much hay has been made for nothing.

So A Girl gets hurt and there is much drama surrounding it on the Blogosphere. Many have chimed in, some deriding, some praising. Well hey. Lets start here from my own experience. I teach new shooters 6 at a time on a indoor range. I teach CCH classes with a live fire test. I do everything I can to keep the students safe first, secondly myself. I weigh about 160 pounds soaking wet with a Colt Commander on my hip. Empty handed force on force training for me? Maybe not.

I do every thing I can to stay safe. Guess what. It does not always work out.

We make our choices. The fact she posted it speaks volumes. We learn from mistakes. Mine may not be as painful as hers, but she made the choice to do it. I applaud that. I say that "you don't know until you go".

My choices have not been as painful as hers, but I was not there when the attack happened that motivated her to take this path. Nor was I there when I see the people showing up for my Concealed Carry Class for whatever motivated them to be in class.     

12 comments:

  1. You win, you lose, that defines life as we know it. Don't complain, don't make excuses. Do your best every time and you will prevail. Keep up the the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Keads!

    I know not everyone understands and know some don't even want to try, but that day, broken ribs and all, was extremely valuable to me.

    I am gonna try to avoid the broken ribs thing in the future though:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agirl, I love that you put it out there. Good, bad, indifferent, you do so. You are a force that can not be stopped.

      Me? As my 70+ year old Curmudgeon would say: "I did that stuff in 1954. I'm too old for that. Don't screw with old people they will just shoot you."

      I'm coming up on 50 years on the planet myself. Aside from Weapon retention and presentation drills that are empty handed, this is about all I want to do.

      I have your Six!

      Delete
  3. Thing is, you are more likely to get hurt DRIVING to and from than during shooting.

    Life isn't safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Concur, SHE is making choices based on what SHE perceives her needs are, so who are we to fault her? Ricochets? BTDT, in the glasses, twice in the cheek, once in the middle of the forehead; thankfully nothing was ever broken. And that's NOT counting the ones that hit the shirt, or arms or legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friend of mine said a ricochet from his wife's shot hit him square in the crotch. She SAID it was an accident...

      Delete
    2. Yes NFO. I will never judge what path anyone chooses in this area.

      Delete
  5. Proud Hillbilly - ha!

    Keads - we do what we do for reasons that go deeper than motivation and run stronger than fear. I think Girl has more guts than many people, and I support her trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will not dismiss anyone that wants to be all they can and face the world with determination and skills to deal with it. Whatever path that they take.

      Thanks for the insight. I had to wrap my head around that statement for a moment. It might help me this weekend as I teach.

      I have your Six.

      Delete