Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Where is My Wookie Suit?

Quick quiz for ya.  Which one of these items are currently under a Consumer Product Safety Commission proposal to be banned?


 Exhibit A














216 magnets packaged and sold as "Buckyballs". They come in this attractive cube.  Once you touch them however you end up with "the clump".  It takes some effort to restore to the state you see above.  Fun stuff though!

Exhibit B













Bersa Thunder .380 pistol.


Answer? Exhibit A because "OMG someone think of the children!" 

Really? They say to keep out of the reach of children more times on the packaging than ANY firearm packaging I have ever seen. 

The proposed ban is up for comments at regulations.gov.  
I mean really. Whats next? 

















Forks? I remember sticking one of those into Mr. electrical outlet back in the day and I seem to have suffered no ill effects (or not, I will leave that up to my humble readers to decide). 

I mean if you can't see the danger in a 3 year old eating high power magnets, I don't think you need to be breeding.  Just saying.  The CPSC did send a investigator to my house for a weed trimmer that threw an amazing amount of shrapnel at high speed and with some distance.  They banned that. I get than one but not this one. 

More info here.

    
 



 

13 comments:

  1. Remember, EVERYTHING is somebody else's fault. And probably Bush's fault, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Shepard! +1 on Bush. It probably is his fault.

      Delete
  2. But, curiously, NOT the Chinese curly-Q light bulbs, which when broken require a HAZMAT crew to clean up?
    If I could, I'd drink water from a garden hose, ride a bicycle without a helmet and all manner of stuff in front of the CPSC, just to p*** them off!

    gfa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't get me started on that gfa! The lighting stuff is beginning to make my life at work uh, interesting. Get to tell upper management that I nee to spend a boat load of money on new fixtures because I can't get the old bulbs anymore.

      Delete
  3. Gah... Nanny state is alive and well! And +1 on GFA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wonder HOW in the H-E-double-hockey-sticks all us Old Farts survived without the gubmint running our lives.

    Oh, wait.....I think it was something called "Mom and Dad" that took care of us, and taught us the perils of being STOOOPID.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Ma and Pop would caution you about something and if you did it anyway well, you got what you deserved!

      Delete
    2. Ah but don't forget that if they let you learn life lessons the hard way, they would be charged with child endangerment and/or abuse..............

      Delete
  5. Lol. Guess this is one case where one can not to be sure of their audience

    ReplyDelete
  6. Butter knife. Fits in the outlet better than a fork does.

    They probably wouldn't like that I played in the coal pile when I was a kid, either. Climbed trees, too. Probably left me permanently damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Smarter Half has long maintained that helmet, seat-belt, and other "for the children" laws have ruined the human race. It has allowed the stupid to live to breeding age thus producing more and 'better' idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy shit, that's my Missus gun, there goes my PTSD again.

    ReplyDelete