Search This Blog

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Hey I get to whip out a purse tommorrow

I said I would not comment on students in Basic Pistol class, but this time around I have to.  I had 16 students today. They have never touched one before.  I had a petite attractive female that continually worked the iPad AND Blackberry during class.  Immaculately dressed in the upscale "casual style".

So we get to it and I put a Ruger MkII .22 caliber in her hand along with 5 other students on the line at the same time.  I picked the Ruger out for her to shoot first.  You really have to work on getting a case of slide bite on one of those.  So while I was watching other students shooting I came back around to her.  She had the Ruger sitting on the shelf with the barrel in the notch on the shelf shooting away.  Uh, I was flabbergasted.  

Four hours in the classroom.  Sight alignment, sight picture, stance, etc.  That flew out of the window as soon as she got on the range.  We work on it, but to no avail.  .38 revolver?  Ducks head to the left and yanks the trigger.  No better with my humble ministrations with the Glock 19.  I finally get to ask her privately if this class was a gift from a "significant other".  She says no, she wants to get her CCH permit.  I tell her there is much to do if she wants to do so.  She was not happy about that.  

Although a famous Gun Blogger told me in comments and on the phone that "You are doing the lord's work" in teaching new shooters I cannot turn water into wine.  

So for tomorrow? I get to whip the purse out. Class is suddenly at capacity with 24 souls. If nothing else the number one Firearm salesman is again proving to be so. 




  

































I come away from the classes tired, weak of voice, and emotionally exhausted.  When I do so however I am the most happy person on the planet.  Wish me luck for my 8+ hours in the classroom and THEN go shoot tomorrow!

16 comments:

  1. Good Luck... don't laugh. but once I had a student worse than that and I couldn't figure out how to communicate to her to get her to look at the sights correctly... NEVER had that problem at THAT level before THAT student about ten years ago... finally took a Toilet Paper cardboard tube... cut it long-ways... put it on the Ruger Mark II like a big, long hood over the sights - front and rear - the length of the barrel... and she finally figured out what she was looking at...

    Dann in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See that would work. I should have seen the warning signs though. Said nothing in class. Did not want to participate in administrative handling of Handguns with dummy rounds. Did not want to dry fire in class with a laser training cartridge. It is as if she was not in class. I can't fix that.

      Delete
  2. Hang in there - I suspect she will finally decide to "show up" if she truly wants her permit . . . .

    Spent the day with 15 scouts in a shotgun merit badge range day. Pretty fun actually, got 4 fully qualified and one qualified on a rifle. Gotta admit I'm pretty darn pooped tonight though . . . .

    Lookin' forward to your report.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "'Scuse me while I whip this out!" - Black Bart (Blazing Saddles)
    Sorry, I had to do it!

    gfa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "You people in the front row may want to step back". Back at ya!

      Delete
  4. Hang in there, you will always get one or two of those a year... Just remember all the GOOD ones, and hope she comes back for more training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I do NFO. Thanks for the advise. Cheaper than therapy!

      Delete
  5. "Like, can I just have my license now or what?"

    Tell her to start taking her sh*t seriously or to hit the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She obviously was not really interested from the get go.

      Delete
  6. We have a local gun shop in Summerville, SC that has a wildly popular Ladies Night every week where women instructors teach the ladies to shoot...I wonder if they listen to their own species any better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have run in students of both sexes that have exhibited this kind of stuff. I have also observed ladies that were very adept students.

      I have also been in classes taught by Female instructors. I enjoyed the class. The ladies today were attentive, engaged, and passed.

      Delete
  7. You can only do your part. She has to do hers and you are not responsible for that. She doesn't realize what quality instruction she is missing out on.

    ReplyDelete