Search This Blog

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Getting Ready....

As you may know I am spending my vacation this year at the evil Blackwater unicorns and rainbows USA Training center. I need at least 1200 rounds of .45 ACP for my stay. Brigid has an excellent primer on reloading. (Groan, no pun intended) I chose to go large and got a progressive press. I have been reloading for about a year. Looks like this tonight (click on pics to enbiggen):

Loading .45 ACP. B. notes that the Blue Press catalog looks like a Frederick's of Hollywood calender. The calender above the press is for research only! My photographer friend over at The Sweeter Image is interested in doing a theme calendar (really).

Close up of what is going on:

















A progressive press is on the surface pretty simple. Stick a piece of brass in one station, put a bullet in another and pull the handle. In reality, it does require attention to detail. You also need to be a bit mechanically inclined. I check the powder load and case gauge every 10th round.

I chose a Hornady press over the Dillon. I trust Hornady cartridges. If they make live ammunition, I would assume the reloading press would reflect their experience. Cheaper too.

Several comments on B.s post were of the "if you can follow a recipe out of a book you can reload". I disagree. I am the consummate book reader and that will not replace practical experience in my opinion. Good friends showed me how they reload. It was very valuable!     

   

4 comments:

  1. Yup, whether you prefer red, green, blue, orange or some other color, it's safety first, last and always.
    Good luck at the training center -- I'm sure you'll have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun at the class, and I agree with Ed, SAFETY is always first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gentlemen, I agree with your views! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a beach involved in this trip?

    ReplyDelete