Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Inventory Control!

So while I was perusing the CMP Website, I came across a link to a program called MyGunDB. I have relied on a word document and folders of pictures until now to manage my humble inventory. Well, not any more! I will begin to populate this program with stuff. Here are some screen shots from the "Fortress of Solitude":















At first blush I have to say that it is comprehensive, intuitive and cheap enough! Trust me I know about software that is NOT intuitive, anyone fired up anything from Allen Bradley or Cisco lately? Hell conf t issued from the command line is more intuitive than Web based interfaces from Cisco!

Let me run the software for a little while and I will post with more detail about this program later. It should not take me long to enter my humble inventory.

11 comments:

  1. I've glad you're liking my program so far and can't wait to hear your suggestions!

    One thing I'd like to mention though is that I see you've posted the CMP edition of the program screenshots but linked to the normal MyGunDB.com website -- if users register the program through http://cmp.mygundb.com instead, 25% of each purchase goes to help support the CMP.

    Organizations that protect, and promote, our 2a rights and the shooting sports need all the support we can give them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wolfrage. Good points on the CMP version.

      Delete
  2. What Operating Systems does this run on? Windows only?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. drjim, According to the website, it will run under windows, MacOS, and Linux.

      Delete
    2. Cool.....I run Linux exclusively, so I will definitely check it out!

      Delete
    3. For Linux you just need to install AIR 2.6 from here before you install MyGunDB:

      http://airdownload.adobe.com/air/lin/download/2.6/AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

      Delete
  3. That is awesome Keads. I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs longterm. If it's good I will definitely be interested. I'm strictly pen and paper at the moment. I'd love to have all my inventory in a computer file.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not had the time tonight to really putz with it. I will let you know. I WILL put it through its paces though!

      Delete
  4. I'm really looking forward to your thoughts on this program... Right now we have a CD burned containing JPEG images of our firearms and an excel spreadsheet with the details... My best friend keeps a copy of our CD in his safe and we keep a CD copy of his collection on our safe...

    Dann in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good plan there Dann, I do the same right now, but I think this will work well.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for posting this. I got that email from CMP yesterday but was tied up with ugly stuff like taking care of cars and putting in the last of the sod plugs.

    Looks like I should go get it.

    ReplyDelete