Search This Blog

Friday, August 15, 2014

The Horse Snake is Here!

Sorry, I meant the Colt Python. I have shot others and listened to all the praise lauded on this storied revolver. 

So one night a couple of weeks ago one is on auction and about to close. I call a friend and he says "looks good don't go over X dollars." I realize that the guy whips out hardware that amazes me when I actually get to shoot with him and I should have run away then. 

We watch the auction and I ended up at X + 180 dollars. After some delays (USPS sucks and why are you sending this hardware in this method anyway.) I end up with this today. 


 4" barrel Colt Python. To me in really good shape and my friend sent the short version of the Colt Revolver Shop Manual for checking timing. The one thing that has to go is this:



The craptacular aftermarket grips. We try these repos. 



They suck out loud and off key. Some fitting will be needed to get them where they need to be if that is possible at all. I rummage around and find these:



I have no idea where they came from or why they are here. I do not have the correct hardware to attach them to the revolver and the right side grip has some damage. Sigh.... This revolver needs the correct grips for such a storied handgun. Anybody got grips with the gold medallions for a Colt I frame?


Shoot it tomorrow and a joke for ya. There are only certain people I can talk to on a Friday night and tell them "I'm rubbing my Python" and they don't think I'm a sick perverted person! Thanks for talking tonight my friends and for the advise.

So why do these objects attract people? Or me specifically? There are many modern firearms that have advantages over this Python. They are lighter, cheaper, and have more capacity than this revolver. Easier to drive too I might add.  Much like the 50 year old cars here. 

Still. It is a siren song I cannot ignore. The cars just as the Firearms are machines. I do appreciate the skill and talent in creating these relics as opposed to hitting "play" on the CNC machines. 

This is why I find all the background noise about "my gun vs. this gun" so much noise.

   

17 comments:

  1. Nice piece... :-) Good thing I didn't have any 'spare change' that night.. :-) You'll like it tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Tam we shall see what it does tomorrow. Yes it is pretty. The most beatutiful firearm I own. I dd not buy it to look at it though. It will get fired tomorrow and Sunday.

      Delete
  3. Very nice indeed and congrats. Having fired a Python before, I think you're going to really like owning and shooting the acme of Colt's modern-age revolver production.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaron, it was sweetness and light! Thank you.

      Delete
  4. I was dissolving into a puddle of drool over that insanely gorgeous gun and then you made me spit on my monitor with, "There are only certain people I can talk to on a Friday night and tell them "I'm rubbing my Python" and they don't think I'm a sick perverted person! "

    OK, so maybe I have a kinda juvenile sense of humor, but that really struck me funny.

    FWIW, that middle set of grips, the sort of walnut color, would be my choice. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful old revolver! I'd have bought it, too. :)

    Good luck in finding the appropriate grips & hardware. They're bound to be out there, somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks Shepard! I'm sure I will find what I need. Even with my esoteric turns the other way obsession =)

      Delete
  6. That's a pretty nice piece there. I'm a sucker for deep, polished blueing. It just screams class to me. I await your range report eagerly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DH! I will post one as soon as possible!

      Delete
  7. I have some Browning Hi-Power grips that you might be able to make fit. As to how to attach those other wood grips that you have there...I'll send a roll of duct tape your way.

    Oh--and you're holding it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well of course I am holding it wrong! Duct tape we have, Browning Hi-Powers too. =)

      Delete
  8. Pretty pretty gun . . . Colt did a fine job with Royal Blue, it almost 'glowed'. My Uncle has a nickled version just like your pistol - what a sweet gun that is. I don't know if he still has it, haven't seen it in more than 20 years or so.

    ReplyDelete