Search This Blog

Thursday, October 25, 2012

From the Bench!

A simple field strip and cleaning. Mr. Curmudgeon seems to hand me broken stuff and things to be cleaned. Something I am proud to do for him


 












The much derided Colt Series 80. This is a Combat Commander in .45 ACP.  There were several reasons to make such an argument. The Series 80 firing pin safety is in my opinion a solution in search of a problem.  I however do not notice the difference in shooting this Colt .45 with older ones. You can remove the firing pin safety if you want. There is a shim from Brownells to take care of it if you choose to do so. I did in one of mine so my comparison is valid.

The second argument was the fact that there was a strike by the UAW at Colt. This handgun was derided as a scab built gun. Know what? This thing has never had a failure to feed or fire. More importantly Mr. Curmudgeon carried it for over 20 years across this land (I mean ALL across it). He didn't have a sleepless night worrying about it not doing what it needed to do if he put his "booger hook on the boom switch". It still does so.
  
I am glad to have this pistol here right now. I will return it to its owner shortly. 

    

8 comments:

  1. It would be interesting to sit and chat with the gent and get the weapon's history - they build such a soul over the years . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we have the chance I will get the weapons history. They do indeed build as you say.

      Delete
  2. Yep, good gun, scab built or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Detriments aside, that is a handsome shootin iron. :-)

    ReplyDelete