Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

From the USS Laffey Association

Sad news indeed. The passing of a plankowner of DD-724:


"I am so sorry to pass this information but, our shipmate Glen Radder has been transferred to the ULTIMATE DUTY STATION.
After a long illness, Glen passed away this morning, March 28. 
Glen loved the Laffey and all of his shipmates.
Tom, Glen's son, called me this morning and told me that Glen was resting beneath a his Laffey wall display and alongside was his Laffey coffee cup that he used every morning.
Glen was a true Laffey sailor. He always had a smile on his face and spread good times wherever he went.
I had the honor of knowing Glen after I joined the association. We had a lot of good talks at reunions and a work party that he attended aboard the ship. I shall miss Glen a lot, as will his shipmates. 
Tom told me this morning that Glen has joined many of his shipmates and he knows there is a big party planned. Glen will probably read some of his poems.........???
Please remember Glen and his family in your prayers. 
 
Sonny Walker
President"
 
Fair winds and following seas sailor. Thank you for your service...

3 comments:

  1. Thanks to he who served, and to you, Keads, for the memorium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear this. May gentle winds carrying him to our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all. I visited the Laffey and am a member of the Association. That little tin can served on BOTH sides of the continent. The Kamikaze attack she took was one for the books. Great people too! She was in service until 1975 if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete